Top Ten Anime Movies Of All Time
Top Ten Anime Movies Of All Time
Anime movies are a great getaway from all the waiting around that we have to do for anime episodes to upload. So go grab yourself some popcorn because you are going to enjoy every single one of these no matter the genre and category.
P.S. – The movies below are listed based on their IMDb rating. If you happen to know any more that have not been listed here, feel free to comment down below.
- Spirited Away(2001) – Chihiro Ogino is a ten-year-old girl who is traveling to a new house when her father takes a wrong turn. They mistakenly enter a magical world which her father insists on exploring. During their exploration, Chihiro finds an exquisite bathhouse where she meets a young boy named Haku who warns her to return across the river before sunset. However, before Chihiro is able to warn anybody, she finds that her parents have turned into pigs and now she is trapped in this spirit world.
This is the story of this young girl trying to survive in this magical world and prevent herself from being converted into a beast. Her motive is also to convert her parents back to their original form and return to the human world as soon as possible.
IMDb Rating = 8.6
- Grave Of The Fireflies(1988) – On 21 September 1945, shortly after the end of World War II, a teenage boy, Seita, dies of starvation in a Kobe train station. A janitor sorts through his possessions and finds a candy tin, which he throws into a field. The spirit of Seita’s younger sister, Setsuko, springs from the tin and is joined by Seita’s spirit and a cloud of fireflies.
IMDb Rating = 8.5
- Princess Mononoke(1997) – In Muromachi Japan, a village is attacked by a demon. The last prince of the village, Ashitaka, kills the demon but due to its corruption gets a curse on his right arm. Due to this curse, he gets superhuman powers but the curse is slowly spreading through his entire body and will eventually kill him.
The villagers discover that the demon was the boar god, Nago. The villagers’ wise told him that he might find a cure in the western lands where Nago came from but once he left, he is forbidden from returning to his homeland.
Ashitaka’s journey into the western lands in the search of a cure for his curse and the new people he meets is what Princess Mononoke is about.
IMDb Rating = 8.4
- Your Name(2016) – Mitsuha Miyamizu is a high school girl who lives in the town of itomori. She is bored with the country life. Because she wants to be a handsome boy in her next life, she switches bodies with Taki Tachibana who lives in Tokyo. They communicate by leaving notes on the phones. Taki helps Mitsuha to become popular in school and in return she helps him in developing a relationship with his coworker Miki.
One day, Taki wakes up in his body wanting to call Mitsuha after an unsuccessful date with Miki but isn’t able to reach her. The body switching has ended too. He tries to visit Itomori but couldn’t remember its name, his memory is fading. What must have happened?
IMDb Rating = 8.4
- My Neighbour Totoro(1988) – Tatsuo Kusakabe and his two daughters, Satsuki and Mei, move into an old house to be closer to the hospital where the girls’ mother, Yasuko, is recovering from a long-term illness. Satsuki and Mei find that the house is inhabited by tiny creatures called susuwatari—small, dark, dust-like house spirits seen when moving from light to dark places.
One day, Mei sees two white, rabbit-like ears in the grass and follows the ears under the house. She discovers two small spirits. She meets and befriends a larger version of the spirit, which identifies itself by a series of roars that she interprets as “Totoro”. She falls asleep atop the large Totoro, but when Satsuki finds her, she is on the ground in a dense briar clearing. Despite her many attempts, Mei is unable to show her family Totoro’s tree. Tatsuo comforts her by telling her that this is the “keeper of the forest,” and that Totoro will reveal himself when he wants to.
IMDb Rating = 8.3
- Howl’s Moving Castle(2004) – Sophie is a 14-year-old simple girl who visits her sister Lettie on the way of which she runs into a wizard named Howl. This encounter angers the Witch of The Waste and she turns Sophie into a 90-year-old woman. Because of the curse, she is not able to share it with anyone and so sets out to find a cure.
During this journey, she runs into a weird scarecrow called Turnip. She passes the mysterious Moving Castle and enters it where she meets a fire demon named Calcifier who runs the castle. He immediately recognizes that she is cursed and offers to make a deal with her. He promises to break her curse if she helps him in breaking his.
IMDb Rating = 8.2
- Akira(1998) – Tokyo was destroyed in July 1988 resulting in World War III. By the time 2019 arrived, Tokyo has become corrupted with plagues and terrorism. This new Tokyo is called “Neo-Tokyo”. One night, bosozoku gang leader Shotaro Kaneda leads his gang to fight against their rivals, the Clowns. During this, Kaneda’s best friend, Tetsuo Shima crashes his bike into Takashi, a psychic esper who had recently escaped a government facility. The accident awakens powers in Tetsuo too and attracts government attention.
Colonel Shikishima, leading a government project by Japan Self-Defense Forces is after Tetsuo now.
IMDb Rating = 8.1
- Ghost In The Shell(1995) – With advanced cybernetics technology, 2029 has become the year when you can “augment” human body or can even completely replace it with cybernetic parts.
The foreign minister’s interpreter has been ghost-hacked by a mysterious perpetrator who calls himself the Puppet Master. Major Motoko Kusanagi is an assault team leader for the Public Security Section 9 of “New Port City” in Japan. She and her team are set to capture this Puppet Master but time and again they are met with dead ends in their investigation. Will they be successful in solving the mystery of the Puppet Master?
IMDb Rating = 8.0
- Cowboy Bebop: The Movie(2001) – The setting of this movie is set on Mars in the year 2071, 49 years after Earth has been destroyed due to a catastrophe. The film’s protagonists are bounty hunters who travel together on a spaceship named Bebop, viz., Spike Spiegel, a former associate of the Red Dragon crime; Jet Black, a former police officer and the owner of Bebop; Faye Valentine, a former fugitive from bounty hunters; Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV(aka, Ed), a girl with genius computer skills; and Ein, and artificially enhanced dog with human-level intelligence.
Days before Halloween, a man explodes a truck in Mars’ capital city, spreading a pathogen that kills over three hundred people. In response, the Mars government issues a record bounty of 300 million woolong for the culprit’s capture. Bebop crew decides to take on the bounty and from here on the real adventure begins.
IMDb Rating = 7.9
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time(2006) – At Kuranose High School in Tokyo, Japan, Makoto Konno discovers a message written on a blackboard. On her way home, Makoto is ejected into a railroad crossing when the brakes on her bicycle fail and is hit by an oncoming train but finds herself transported back to the point in time when she was riding her bicycle right before the accident. After entering the Tokyo National Museum to meet with Kazuko Yoshiyama, she explains to Kazuko that she has the power to “time-leap”, to literally leap through time.
At first, Makoto uses her powers to avoid being late, getting perfect grades, and even relieve a single karaoke session for several hours, but soon discovers that her actions can adversely affect others.
IMDb Rating = 7.9
The writer of the article “Top Ten Anime Movies Of All Time” is Gitanjali Mishra. Connect with her on Facebook.